Let's talk about loving ourselves
I've toyed with the idea of making a blog for a while, and finally decided to start one. Without providing you with any extra or boring "fluff," I would like to start talking about my first topic: learning to love YOUrself.
Developing self-love is never an easy task, and some people never even reach self-love. But it's important to try. We live in a current society that is filled with projections of perfection. In a world with Instagram models, body builders, the Kardashians, Victoria Secret Angels and so many more, it's often difficult to maintain a good self-image and sense of self. And hey! I'm not saying there is anything wrong with being any of the abovementioned, I'm just saying that they seem to be the root cause of negative self-image at times.
Let's stop and examine the difference between admiring those in the Instagram posts with the perfect bodies and the perfect diets, and beating yourself up over them, because you don't "measure up." I can confidently talk about this, because I have done the latter countless times. There is nothing wrong with taking a look at someone and having an immense amount of respect for the way they live their life or for the way they look. It's important to celebrate others and their successes. But what is absolutely not okay, is self depreciating. Let's be real...everyone comes in different shapes, sizes and appearances. Everyone has varying levels of talent, and everyone lives their life differently than the next person. What kind of world would we live in if everyone was the same? Who even wants that?
I have struggled with my self-esteem for as long as I can remember, as I'm sure most people have at some point in time. However, over the past few years I have learned to recognize the importance of self-love and appreciating yourself. There is always going to be someone smarter than you, fitter than you, funnier than you, better looking than you...but they are never going to be YOU. It's all about PERSPECTIVE. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Self-love is incredibly hard to master (and hey, I still haven't mastered it), but it's a work in progress. Amazing things take time and everything comes in baby steps! Self love included!
When you wake up in the morning and get yourself out of bed, throw a compliment your way. You deserve the same kind of wonderful love that you would give to someone else...so why not give it to the most important person in your life? Y O U. Happiness begins with you. Self-love begins with you. You are so much more than what you think of yourself. You are going to do amazing things. Celebrate all that you are, and all that you are capable of!
“You yourself, as much as anybody in the entire universe, deserve your love and affection” - Buddha
Cheers friends! xo
Comments
Post a Comment